Hip & Elbow Dysplasia in Rottweiler dog breed | Symptoms & Treatment
Hip & Elbow Dysplasia in Rottweiler dog breed | Symptoms & Treatment: It causes problems in walking, legs shaking & limping. Know about Cause & Surgery cost
Rottweiler is a large-sized intelligent dog breed that is becoming more and more popular nowadays. Rottweilers are considered to be a healthy dog breed but just like other dog breeds, they are also prone to some health issues. They are prone to some bone and joint-related problems. Hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia are the most common types of joint problems found in Rottweiler. Usually, Large-sized dog breeds are more prone to Dysplasia but small or medium-sized dog breeds can also develop Dysplasia. It depends upon various factors. Here we will know about Hip Dysplasia & Elbow Dysplasia in Rottweiler and its symptoms, causes, treatment and surgery cost.
Size of Rottweilers
Rottweilers are of medium to large in size. their height and weight depend upon their sex. Usually, Male Rottweilers are heavier and taller than Female Rottweilers.
Weight of Rottweiler
Male– 50 to 60 Kg
Female– 36 to 48 Kg
Height of Rottweiler
Male– 61 to 70 cm
Female– 57 to 64 cm
Life span of Rottweiler
Usually, the life span of a dog depends upon their health and lifestyle but the average lifespan of a healthy Rottweiler is 8 to 12 years.
History & Past of Rottweiler dog breed
At least once in your lifetime, you have already thought that what is the meaning of the name of this dog breed ‘ Rottweiler’. This Unique name comes from the small town in southern Germany named ‘Rottweil’. The Rottweilers were used by Butcher and Farmers of that town due to this reason Rottweilers were also known as Butcher’s dog. Due to their high strength, they were used by farmers to pull the carts of meat and goods.
Rottweilers are considered as great guard dogs since beginning only, many farmers used them to guard their money against robbers by tying their money in the neck of Rottweilers. They were used for guarding the livestock and also as herding dogs. After some time they were used as Police and guard dogs due to their guarding skills and intelligence. Later in the 90s, this breed starts gaining popularity and finally in 1931 Rottweilers got officially recognized by AKC.
What Is Dysplasia?
Dysplasia is caused by abnormal growth of joints which causes severe problems. It is the most common type of joint problem found in dogs, usually, it is found in large-sized dog breeds like English mastiff, Great Dane, Bullmastiff e.t.c. but it can affect any size breed. Unfortunately, Rottweilers are prone to hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia. We will first understand what Hip and Elbow dysplasia is and how it is formed.
Hip Dysplasia: The hip joints consist of Ball and socket joint sometimes these joints didn’t fit properly usually due to abnormal growth or formation which results in rubbing of these joints against each other and this causes high pain to the dog, this is called Hip Dysplasia.
Elbow Dysplasia: Just like Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia is also formed by unusual formation of elbow joints which cause improper functioning of joints and pain.
Causes of Dysplasia in Rottweilers
There are many reasons which cause Dysplasia in Rottweilers but the most common reason for dysplasia is genes. Sometimes the cause may be improper exercising and putting too much strain on joints. Hip Dysplasia can also be caused by the weak form of Muscles around the Pelvic area. It is also caused due to the dog being overweight and not getting the right diet. Many times Dysplasia is caused due to excessive and abnormal growth of the dog’s body. Usually, Dysplasia is observed in dogs during his growing age.
Symptoms of Dysplasia in Rottweilers
There are many Symptoms by which you can identify Dysplasia in Rottweilers-
- Lameness- Dysplasia also affects the standing posture of the dog, you may observe that the dog is taking the support of one side of his legs.
- Extreme Pain and restlessness – The most common symptom of Dysplasia is extreme pain. Whenever you will touch the affected joint area he will growl or whine in response to touch.
- The decreased activity level of your dog- It is obvious the activity level of your dog will surely be decreased because of rigidity in moving and high pain.
- Harshness and rigidity while moving- due to rubbing of joints against each other you will observe rigid movement.
- Loosening of muscles around the joint- You can also recognize dysplasia by observing the muscles around the affected joint.
Treatment of Dysplasia
There are several ways of treating dysplasia, Dysplasia can be treated in both ways surgically and non surgically. If Dysplasia in your dog is not serious and it doesn’t cause too much pain then your Vet will suggest you non-surgical methods that involve changing the way of living. There are some successful surgeries that can help in treating dysplasia but almost all of them are expensive.
Some of the most common Surgeries or surgical methods for treating Hip Dysplasia in Rottweilers are-
- Femoral Head Ostectomy– This Surgery can cost around $995.
- Total Hip Replacement– This Surgery can cost up to $4500.
- Double or Triple Pelvic Osteotomy– This surgery can cost around $3000.
Some of the most common Surgeries or surgical methods for treating Elbow Dysplasia in Rottweilers are-
- Salvage surgery
- Fragment removal
- Incongruency surgery
Prevention of Dysplasia in Rottweilers-
There is no proper Prevention of Dysplasia however there are many Nonsurgical methods to manage Dysplasia which are done by changing the lifestyle of the dog, some of them are-
- Feeding a high-quality diet
- Weight reduction
- Proper exercising according to the condition of the dog
- Anti-inflammatory medicines to reduce pain
Continue Reading about Rottweilers-
- Know about Health issues in Rottweilers- Rottweiler Dog Breed Health Problems & Condition | Symptoms – Pet FaKt
- Know about Behavioral issues in Rottweilers- Rottweiler dog breed: Temperament, Behavior and Personality Traits
- Read about Aggression in Rottweilers- Rottweiler Aggressive Behavior | How to control aggression in Rottweilers?
- Know about Shedding problem of Rottweilers- Shedding in Rottweilers|How to control Excessive shedding of Rottweilers
- Read some interesting and fun facts about Rotties- Interesting Rottweiler Facts that you may not know – Pet FaKt
- Know about Caring and Grooming of Rottweilers in detail- Care and Grooming of Rottweiler | How to Groom a Rottweiler – Pet FaKt